Definition of biogeochemical in English:
Relating to or denoting the cycle in which chemical elements and simple substances are transferred between living systems and the environment.
- This component of the trees is largely involved in the biogeochemical cycles in forest ecosystems, through nutrient removals at harvest and nutrient translocations throughout stand rotation.
- Indirect effects are feedbacks on ecosystem structure and function through many pathways, which include altered competitive relationships among species, biogeochemical cycles and carbon budgets.
- Technically, this is called ‘closing the biogeochemical cycle.’
- Example sentences
- Braun and Pfeiffer's research sets forth ‘a circumstantial case with good chemical support;’ says Julie Bartley, a biogeochemist at the State University of West Georgia in Carrollton.
- At 5 km deep, the water at this site - which scientists have dubbed station ALOHA - has ocean layers that mix just as much as they do in more remote waters, says David M. Karl, a biogeochemist at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu.
- Now, the simplest way to look at this is, sort of a friend of mine, Vladimir Vernadsky, the famous Russian biogeochemist, who defined what he called the ‘Noösphere.’
- Example sentences
- Fine roots are an important source and sink for nutrients in terrestrial biogeochemistry.
- Because interactions of hydrology, geomorphology, and biology greatly complicate nitrogen cycling in estuaries, a complete understanding of the biogeochemistry of nitrogen in estuaries is lacking.
- Chapter Twelve, by Phillipe Van Cappellen discusses global biogeochemical cycles; as the author says, the chapter introduces concepts of these cycles and concludes with a discussion of the carbon cycle, central to biogeochemistry.
Definition of biogeochemical in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan