Definition of biolistics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
A technique in genetic engineering in which tiny metal pellets coated with DNA are propelled into living cells at high velocities.
- Over-expression of introduced genes is a problem with some methods, such as biolistics, which is shooting gene preparations into plant tissue with tiny projectiles.
- Previous reports have shown that biolistics can be used to transfer genes to chickens in ovo.
- It makes use of biolistics technology, where tiny particles are injected through cell walls by a high-powered gun.
- Example sentences
- The strain was transformed using biolistic techniques.
- Leaves of pepper, potato, tomato, Arabidopsis, and maize were subjected to biolistic transient transformation with various DNA constructs and were subsequently histochemically stained to visualize GUS activity.
- Particle coating and bombardment conditions were carried out basically as described previously, with a biolistic helium gun device.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan