Definition of biological in English:
1Relating to biology or living organisms.
- IBM has unveiled an ambitious initiative to develop technologies that share the basic biological abilities of living organisms.
- This heavy metal has no known biological function in living organisms.
- Biotechnology is the use of living organisms or biological substances to discover or produce therapeutic remedies.
1.1(Of a detergent or other cleaning product) containing enzymes to assist the process of cleaning.
- Use biological washing powder to clean your roasting tins: sprinkle in a cup of powder, add warm water and leave to soak for an hour
- Biological cleaning solutions, being natural and generally harmless, are very safe to use meaning cleaning staff are protected during general use and in the event of accidental spillages
- The pre-treatment and/or post-treatment baths are compatible with the biological cleaning bath and during operation of the system, the used pre-treatment and/or post-treatment baths are recycled to the biological cleaning solution for biodegradation.
1.2Relating to or involving the use of microorganisms or toxins of biological origin as weapons of war.
- Chemical toxins differ from biological weapons in that they are nonliving pathogens and require direct infection and contact with the victim.
- To reduce the severity and extent of war if it does break out, for example by limiting possession and use of nuclear and chemical and biological weapons.
- This element is the presence of weapons of mass destruction, WMD, which includes chemical, toxin, biological, and nuclear weapons.
2(Of a member of a person’s family) genetically related; related by blood: his biological mother
More example sentences
- And the mother and father, the biological parents of this baby were in the wind but the grandparents lived in New Jersey.
- Scientists are to carry out the first British experiments on human embryos that would create a baby with three biological parents - two mothers and a father.
- Parenting is separated from sexuality in a way that it is not for heterosexual parents with biological children.
noun(usually biologicals) Back to top
A substance of biological origin used as a drug, vaccine, pesticide, etc. a wide spectrum of biologicals are produced from animal cells in culture
More example sentences
- Pass-Through Codes are temporary codes for which hospital outpatient departments receive payments in addition to the APC rate for certain biologicals, drugs, and innovative medical devices.
- The Merck index: an encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs & biologicals.
- The MMA changed the payment rates for many drugs, biologicals, and services.
- Example sentences
- I know addiction is biologically based, but I still wonder what it's like to go down that path.
- However… an impersonal relationship is not a biologically human one.
- Some sex differences will always endure, being biologically founded; but many will not, having social roots.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India