1The total quantity or weight of organisms in a given area or volume.
- Harvest index was measured as the ratio between root weight and total biomass.
- However, it has increased the grain yield potential and thereby the ratio of grain mass to total above-ground biomass or harvest index.
- Total biomass was also increased relative to controls by the end of the experiment.
2Organic matter used as a fuel, especially in a power station for the generation of electricity.
- The proposal has the added bonus of reducing greenhouse gas emissions through the use of biomass to generate electricity.
- The use of biomass electrical generation is hardly the environmental boon it's made out to be.
- He also sees huge potential for biomass fired electricity in the West of Ireland.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bio|mass
Definition of biomass in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.