Definition of bioturbation in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
The disturbance of sedimentary deposits by living organisms.
- In the broadest sense, any kind of sediment disturbance is bioturbation.
- In the present article, we use high-resolution chemical and radiochemical data as the basis for a numerical simulation of sediment accumulation, bioturbation, and episodic deposition or erosion in a dynamic estuary.
- Rates of sediment accumulation, differential bioturbation and preservational processes may also have influenced the final diversity of fossils in the rocks.
- 1bioturbated adjective
- Example sentences
- However, its stratigraphic position is constrained by the first appearance of bioturbated mud facies typical of the distal ice-shelf setting in the other cores, as well as by the shear strength data.
- Sandbodies are abruptly overlain by bioturbated sandy muds with flint pebble horizons that represent transgressive reworking of the delta top and deepening into open shelf conditions.
- The transition is characterized by the occurrence of nodular, bioturbated limestones that indicate a decrease in accumulation rate.
Definition of bioturbation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.