A European woodland orchid which lacks chlorophyll, the whole plant being yellowish brown. Its nest-like mass of thick roots absorbs nutrients from a soil-dwelling fungus.
- Neottia nidus-avis, family Orchidaceae
More example sentences
- The woodland of Brick Kiln Rough is oak dominated with an interesting ground flora, including daffodil, bird's-nest orchid and bluebell.
- Reading up on it the Bird's-nest Orchid doesn't have green leaves to collect its energy from sunlight.
- The Bird's-nest Orchid is particularly unusual in that it is saprophytic (ie depends on dead plant or animal tissue for its source of nutrition and metabolic energy), has no chlorophyll whatsoever and is therefore a dull pale brown, lacking the flamboyance and colours normally associated with orchids.
Definition of bird's-nest orchid in:
- The US English dictionary