- A bird that feeds on animal flesh, distinguished by a hooked bill and sharp talons; a raptor.
More example sentences
- Orders Falconiformes (the diurnal birds of prey) and Strigiformes (the owls)
- The hen harrier is a bird of prey and can be recognised by its long legs and broad wing span some also have a ruffle of feathers around the face.
- This poem vividly portrays the unique characteristics of the osprey, a bird of prey, which feeds on fish.
- Unlike birds of prey, the talons of Old World vultures are relatively weak and unsuitable as weapons of attack.
More definitions of bird of preyDefinition of bird of prey in:
- The US English dictionary