Definition of bird ringing in English:
The practice of catching birds, marking them with an identifying band around the leg, and then releasing them.
- In the late 1950s when youthful Chris Mead was bird ringing at Barn Elms Reservoir, I was an even younger budding ringer at Beddington Sewage Farm, and we often caught each other's birds.
- All birds were caught with mistnets at night on intertidal flats in the Wadden Sea (under Dutch bird ringing center license numbers 851 and 351 for knots and turnstones, respectively).
- Most activities start from 10 am and include nature trails, bird ringing, hurdle making (fashionable this), charcoal, wood turning and pole lathing.
bird ringer noun
- Example sentences
- Up until last year, the only way to get involved in bird migration studies was to go to the coast or to train as a bird ringer.
- The group consists of several bird ringers who are licensed by the British Trust for Ornithology.
- It is usually only bird ringers who carry-out survey work in reedbeds who are lucky enough to see them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia