The practice of catching birds, marking them with an identifying band around the leg, and then releasing them.
More example sentences
- In the late 1950s when youthful Chris Mead was bird ringing at Barn Elms Reservoir, I was an even younger budding ringer at Beddington Sewage Farm, and we often caught each other's birds.
- All birds were caught with mistnets at night on intertidal flats in the Wadden Sea (under Dutch bird ringing center license numbers 851 and 351 for knots and turnstones, respectively).
- Most activities start from 10 am and include nature trails, bird ringing, hurdle making (fashionable this), charcoal, wood turning and pole lathing.
- More example sentences
- Up until last year, the only way to get involved in bird migration studies was to go to the coast or to train as a bird ringer.
- The group consists of several bird ringers who are licensed by the British Trust for Ornithology.
- It is usually only bird ringers who carry-out survey work in reedbeds who are lucky enough to see them.