Definition of birefringent in English:
Having two different refractive indices.
- The model appeared to require that a gas of hydrogenic atoms would be magnetically birefringent, because the electron would orbit in a plane perpendicular to the field direction.
- When polarization is a concern, linear and birefringent polarizers can be used to remove, reflect, or refract one of the polarization components.
- At the macroscopic scale, samples held in test-tubes spontaneously demix under the influence of gravity into a top isotropic phase and a bottom birefringent nematic phase.
- Example sentences
- Such flexibility has been observed by electrical birefringence, electron paramagnetic resonance, fluorescence resonance energy transfer, phosphorescence, and electron microscopy.
- They demonstrated diagnostic negative birefringence under the polarizing microscope.
- The chitinized walls that lined many of the spray flow structures exhibited birefringence in polarized light microscopy.
Definition of birefringent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan