Having two different refractive indices.
- The model appeared to require that a gas of hydrogenic atoms would be magnetically birefringent, because the electron would orbit in a plane perpendicular to the field direction.
- When polarization is a concern, linear and birefringent polarizers can be used to remove, reflect, or refract one of the polarization components.
- At the macroscopic scale, samples held in test-tubes spontaneously demix under the influence of gravity into a top isotropic phase and a bottom birefringent nematic phase.
- Example sentences
- Such flexibility has been observed by electrical birefringence, electron paramagnetic resonance, fluorescence resonance energy transfer, phosphorescence, and electron microscopy.
- They demonstrated diagnostic negative birefringence under the polarizing microscope.
- The chitinized walls that lined many of the spray flow structures exhibited birefringence in polarized light microscopy.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bi|refrin¦gent
Definition of birefringent in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.