Definition of bitter-ender in English:
1A person who holds out until the end, no matter what: bitter-enders who speak their mind no matter what the cost
More example sentences
- The fact of the matter is, we are facing a small group of bitter-enders who are basically trying to turn the tide of history.
- The purpose of the tapes was to rally these small group of bitter-enders.
- Council members are scornful of U.S. suggestions that they forgo the death penalty for criminals convicted of war crimes; they think a tougher message needs to be sent to bitter-enders.
1.1(In southern African history) a Boer who refused to surrender towards the end of the Second Boer War.
- A "bitter ender," he soldiered as a guerrilla through the last stages of the war, riding south on that astonishing, bold Boer invasion of Cape Colony.
- De Wet was left the remaining die-hard against surrender, a true bitter-ender.
- His father was a bitter-ender in the Boer war who refused to give up his guns in defeat and named his son after a dead Boer general.
Definition of bitter-ender in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan