Definition of bitter-ender in English:
1A person who holds out until the end, no matter what: bitter-enders who speak their mind no matter what the cost
More example sentences
- The fact of the matter is, we are facing a small group of bitter-enders who are basically trying to turn the tide of history.
- The purpose of the tapes was to rally these small group of bitter-enders.
- Council members are scornful of U.S. suggestions that they forgo the death penalty for criminals convicted of war crimes; they think a tougher message needs to be sent to bitter-enders.
1.1(In southern African history) a Boer who refused to surrender towards the end of the Second Boer War.
- A "bitter ender," he soldiered as a guerrilla through the last stages of the war, riding south on that astonishing, bold Boer invasion of Cape Colony.
- De Wet was left the remaining die-hard against surrender, a true bitter-ender.
- His father was a bitter-ender in the Boer war who refused to give up his guns in defeat and named his son after a dead Boer general.
Definition of bitter-ender in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.