Entry from US English dictionary
1A warty, green-colored, unripe fruit of an annual tropical vine, used in Asian cooking and for its medicinal properties. Also called bitter gourd.
- Or substitute bitter melon juice, found in Asian groceries.
- Twenty-five diabetes patients were treated at the Canton College of Traditional Chinese Medicine with dried bitter melon slices; 250g dried bitter melon slices boiled in water each day.
- In, on occasion, went something fresh, and therefore flagrantly illegal: a bumpy, bright green bitter melon, or bay leaves from my uncle's garden.
1.1The widespread plant of the gourd family that produces this fruit.
- Bitter melon grows in tropical areas, including parts of East Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and South America.
- Grow bitter melon as you would grow cantaloupe or honeydew melons.
- Bitter melon is an annual plant growing to 2 m tall.
- Momordica charantia, family Cucurbitaceae.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: bit·ter mel·on
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.