- A small brightly coloured freshwater fish of central Europe. The eggs are deposited inside a mussel, in which they are fertilized and the young eventually hatch.
More example sentences
- Rhodeus amarus, family Cyprinidae
- The European bitterling (Rhodeus sericeus, Cyprinidae) is a freshwater fish in which the quality of the resource is of crucial importance for successful reproduction but can easily be manipulated.
- Similarly, in the European bitterling, Rhodeus sericeus, dominant males invested most in ejaculations before oviposition if only one competitor was present.
- Species (or larger taxonomic groups) used as hosts by this species are orange spotted sunfish, bitterling, white-tail shiner, spotfin shiner, and big-eye chub.
late 19th century: from German Bitterling, from bitter 'bitter'(translating Latin amarus) + -ling.