Definition of bivalent in English:
1 Biology (Of homologous chromosomes) associated in pairs.
- If chromosomes 1 and 2 are genetically more identical, as are chromosomes 3 and 4, there are three different combinations for the bivalent chromosome pairing.
- Note that the bivalent sex chromosome remaining in the vicinity of the equator appears to be oriented to the poles.
- Because only homologous chromosomes pair, allopolyploids strictly exhibit bivalent formation (two chromosomes pair) at meiosis and undergo disomic inheritance for each locus.
2 Chemistry another term for divalent.
- The surface of BR is bound with bivalent metal cations, charge amino acids and polar phospholipids to form an asymmetrical distribution of charges on the membrane surface.
- The bivalent cations were slightly increased as well as chloride and phosphate.
- It causes the cell wall to become rigid by blocking free carboxyl groups that interact with bivalent ions like Ca 2 +.
nounBiology Back to top
A pair of homologous chromosomes.
- However, no investigation has been made into whether homologous chromosome pairs or bivalents with altered patterns of recombination events may also be at increased risk for nondisjunction in mammals other than humans.
- On average, each double-crossover bivalent produces one double-crossover chromosome (of four) in the absence of chromatid interference.
- True non-disjunction as a mechanism causing aneuploidy was separately assessed when a bivalent was found in a set of metaphase II chromosomes.
Definition of bivalent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan