Definition of black art in English:
noun(often the black arts)
1 another term for black magic.
- It appears to get there by some black magic known only to those with knowledge of the black arts.
- Faustus calls on them to teach him the black arts.
- A man named Seveni, a master of the black arts, brainwashed the country into a revolt against its own king and queen.
1.1 humorous A technique or practice considered mysterious and sinister: the black art of political news management
More example sentences
- Prior to the 1970s, cryptography was a black art, understood and practised by only a few government and military personnel.
- In the following centuries the sophists became masters of rhetoric, and taught this sometimes black art to the politicians and lawmen of their day.
- In the black art of politics, as in the basics of comedy, timing is everything.
Definition of black art in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia