Definition of black art in English:
noun(often the black arts)
1 another term for black magic.
- It appears to get there by some black magic known only to those with knowledge of the black arts.
- Faustus calls on them to teach him the black arts.
- A man named Seveni, a master of the black arts, brainwashed the country into a revolt against its own king and queen.
1.1 humorous A technique or practice considered mysterious and sinister: the black art of political news management
More example sentences
- Prior to the 1970s, cryptography was a black art, understood and practised by only a few government and military personnel.
- In the following centuries the sophists became masters of rhetoric, and taught this sometimes black art to the politicians and lawmen of their day.
- In the black art of politics, as in the basics of comedy, timing is everything.
Definition of black art in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.