Definition of black flag in English:
1 historical A pirate’s ensign, typically thought to feature a white skull and crossbones on a black background.
- She is known throughout the Royal Navy as the ‘Black Duke’ and she flies a black flag from her mainmast at all times.
- Could she set sail again and raise her black flag, if only in our dreams?
- The Pacific Northwest is likewise out - too much rain and too many cloudy days make me hoist the black flag and start looking for throats to cut.
3 Motor Racing A black flag used to signal to a driver that he must stop at the pits as a punishment for a misdemeanour.
- It was a relief that there were no penalty points for bad driving as I picked up three black flags - meaning a stop and go penalty in the pit lane - in as many laps.
- Montoya is disqualified from the race after being given a black flag for a technical infringement relating to the incident in the start where he used the spare car.
- Of course, I didn't want to pass him and get a black flag.
Definition of black flag in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia