Entry from US English dictionary
1An edible soft fruit related to the blackberry, consisting of a cluster of black drupelets.
- The study was an extension of earlier research in which freeze-dried strawberries and black raspberries prevented esophageal cancer in rodents by 50-70 percent.
- There is a preference for red raspberries over black raspberries; however, they will feed on either.
- Starting in mid-June the black raspberries are ready, followed by blackberries in early July and red and gold raspberries in early August.
2The prickly arching shrub of the rose family that bears this fruit.
- Rubus occidentalis, family Rosaceae.
- I would like to know about raising black raspberries, including sprays, diseases, care, how to keep birds out.
- One of the most common and widespread diseases of brambles in the United States, anthracnose can infect both red and black raspberries, blackberries, dewberries, and loganberries.
- The disease is common and can be quite severe in the southern portions of the Midwest on erect and trailing blackberries and black raspberries.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: black rasp·ber·ry
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.