Definition of black vulture in English:
1A very large Old World vulture with blackish-brown plumage, now rare in Europe. Also called cinereous vulture.
- Aygypius monachus, family Accipitridae
- Snow lay thin on the dunes, while a black vulture cruised above my head.
- We deal with everything from the smallest white-eye to a black vulture, from hedgehogs to jackals.
- The black stork, black vulture, and endangered Spanish imperial eagle are among the 42 species of birds that depend on the cork woodlands.
2A New World vulture with black plumage and a bare black head.
- Coragyps atratus, family Cathartidae
- The three vulture species in North America, the turkey vulture, black vulture, and California condor, are in the family cathartidae.
- Huge, black vultures soar over canyon, desert and forest, circling nimbly on updrafts.
- I don't see any black vultures but I do see the better soaring turkey vultures and a number of hawks.
Definition of black vulture in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan