1A small round edible black berry which grows in loose hanging clusters.
- There were stalls piled with pyramids of different coloured berries - deep purple blackcurrants, scarlet strawberries, pink lingonberries and bright orange slushy cloudberries.
- My mum used to make the world's best ever blackcurrant pie - she made home grown blackcurrants into a pie that I could polish off on my own over several evenings.
- Others, such as cooking apples, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries, have more pectin and set without any help.
2The widely cultivated shrub which bears blackcurrants.
- Ribes nigrum, family Grossulariaceae
- The blackcurrant, R. nigrum, was first cultivated a century later than the red, and for a long time was considered to be distinctly inferior.
- Elderberries and blackcurrants grew in the hedgerows.
- The original blackcurrants grew in N. Europe and in Asia as far east as the Himalayas.
Words that rhyme with blackcurrantconcurrent, currant, current, occurrent, redcurrant
Definition of blackcurrant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.