Definition of blackface in English:
1A sheep of a breed with a black face.
- In October of 2003, members purchased cheviot rams at the breeding sales and crossed them onto the native blackface Ox Mountain ewes.
- Meat from Scotland's famous blackface sheep, one of the country's oldest breeds, can be ordered online.
- The sale attracts buyers from all over Ireland because the Mourne blackface has all the qualities required for profitable sheep farming in the difficult years ahead.
2 [mass noun] Make-up used by a non-black performer playing a black role.
- It seems that the performers were rehearsing in blackface.
- The white practice of copying African American mannerisms became so widespread that actors performing in blackface eventually squeezed black theater out of existence.
- Most of the rest of the songs, original and traditional, are performed in blackface to illustrate the progress of his minstrel career.
Definition of blackface in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.