Definition of blackface in English:
1A sheep of a breed with a black face.
- In October of 2003, members purchased cheviot rams at the breeding sales and crossed them onto the native blackface Ox Mountain ewes.
- Meat from Scotland's famous blackface sheep, one of the country's oldest breeds, can be ordered online.
- The sale attracts buyers from all over Ireland because the Mourne blackface has all the qualities required for profitable sheep farming in the difficult years ahead.
2 [mass noun] Make-up used by a non-black performer playing a black role.
- It seems that the performers were rehearsing in blackface.
- The white practice of copying African American mannerisms became so widespread that actors performing in blackface eventually squeezed black theater out of existence.
- Most of the rest of the songs, original and traditional, are performed in blackface to illustrate the progress of his minstrel career.
Definition of blackface in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan