Definition of blackfly in English:
noun (plural same or blackflies)
1A black or dark green aphid which is a common pest of crops and gardens.
- Several species in the family Aphididae, in particular Aphis fabae
- Hover flies and lace wings control aphids and blackfly.
- Most common are greenfly on roses and blackfly on nasturtiums and broad beans, but dozens of their relations also attack other plants.
- One or two other insidious pests have crept almost unnoticed into my garden this month including blackfly, which have infested the tall flowering stems of the cardoons.
2 (also black fly) A small black fly, the female of which sucks blood and can transmit a number of serious human and animal diseases.
- Family Simuliidae: Simulium and other genera
- Similarly, the device mimics a human by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture, and an attractant, octenol, which targets mosquitoes, biting midges, black flies and sandflies.
- Other blood feeding insects or mites that may occasionally be pests of poultry include: chigger mites, biting midges, and black flies (turkey gnats).
- In fact, in their effort to discourage the world's mosquitoes, blackflies, sand flies and ticks, consumers spend an estimated $200 million annually on sprays, liquids, lotions, candles and other anti-insect concoctions.
Definition of blackfly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan