Definition of blacklead in English:
another term for graphite.
- Strand upon strand bonded to the blacklead with a binding agent known only to few.
- Works can be rendered in blacklead or metallic pencil or in colour using various mediums or in monotone or duotone or in black and white.
- The grate will need no other cleaning, but will merely require dusting every day, and occasionally brushing with a dry blacklead brush.
verb[with object] Back to top
Polish (metal, especially cast iron) with graphite: the kitchen range hadn’t been blackleaded for ages
More example sentences
- When they are required, the bars, cheeks, and back of the grate will need blackleading in the usual manner.
- The fireplace dates from about 1840 and needed regular blackleading and polishing.
- Windows were cleaned, grates were blackleaded, furniture polished and the front doorstep and flags were whitened.
Definition of blacklead in:
- US English dictionary