Definition of blackleg in English:
1British derogatory A person who continues working when fellow workers are on strike: [as modifier]: blackleg labour
More example sentences
- In response to his letter, I wholeheartedly disagree with his comments about ‘scabs’, ‘non-strikers’ and ‘blacklegs’.
- There was no violence directed against the many blacklegs who drove buses and engaged in other strike-breaking activities.
- The marital crisis coincides with a miners' strike in which the men are forced to live off a pittance while blacklegs take over their jobs.
2 [mass noun] An acute infectious bacterial disease of cattle and sheep, causing necrosis in one or more legs.
- The bacterium is Clostridium chauvoei
- Such other clostridials include black disease, blackleg, braxy, bacterial redwater and tetanus.
- The researcher said cases of blackleg often increased when animals moved to new pastures.
- The clinical signs of botulism in cattle are caused by the toxin produced by a bacteria, which is in the same group that causes such familiar diseases as tetanus and blackleg.
3 [mass noun] Any of a number of plant diseases in which part of the stem blackens and decays, in particular:
- ● A fungal disease of cabbages and related plants (caused by Leptosphaeria, Pleospora, and other genera). ● A bacterial disease of potatoes (caused by Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica).
- This will ensure that any future overcoming of resistance does not result in the complete collapse of the cultivar from blackleg disease as now occurs in some field situations.
- The models revealed telling facts about the spread of anthracnose, blackleg and black spot.
- Although numerous studies suggest that seedling and adult blackleg resistances are under different genetic controls, many authors have observed a significant correlation between the two.
verb (blacklegs, blacklegging, blacklegged)[no object] British derogatory Back to top
Continue working when one’s fellow workers are on strike.
- The party's organic hostility to the working class soon proved of value to the bourgeoisie when it blacklegged on the 1980 general strike, which was broken by the government.
- Second, the left decided to scab and blackleg on the ethnic group, whose struggle is the oldest cause of the left in the region.
Words that rhyme with blacklegfilibeg • peg-leg • dogleg
Definition of blackleg in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan