Definition of blackshirt in English:
1A member of a Fascist organization, in particular:
1.1(In Italy) a member of a paramilitary group founded by Mussolini.
- The quasi-official terror gangs of the 1920s - the Freikorps in Germany, blackshirts in Italy, and Black and Tans in Ireland - did not reappear.
- Even Mussolini's fascism attracted Jabotinsky's Revisionist Party, and the Betar youth movement was, to some degree, modeled on the Italian blackshirts.
1.3(In the UK) a supporter of Oswald Mosley’s British Union of Fascists.
- It was introduced in response to Mosley's fascists and their blackshirts.
- You can hear party members recalling how they lined up milk bottles to throw at Mosley's blackshirts, fought tenant evictions, and organised Saturday night socials.
- The leader of the British Union of Fascists, Sir Oswald Moseley, had planned to invade the East End with his blackshirts to intimidate the residents.
1920s: so named because of the colour of the Italian Fascist uniform.
Definition of blackshirt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia