chiefly North American
- 1Asphalt, tarmacadam, or other black material used for surfacing roads: the shiny blacktop of the drive [as modifier]: blacktop roadsMore example sentences
- It was almost 5 p.m. and the sun, round as an orange, shone directly into my eyes as I drove slowly along the familiar blacktop road to the airport.
- Several years ago, maybe three, I had my driveway and parking area covered with new blacktop.
- As he ran Danny tripped and fell on the blacktop road.
- 1.1 [count noun] A road or area surfaced with blacktop: I turned on to the two-lane blacktopMore example sentences
- Driving along the two-lane blacktops and gravel section roads, one sees huge wheat combines churning up clouds of dust.
- A couple of them are very narrow, two-lane blacktops that lead into a main artery.
- The road proved to be a two-lane blacktop with the familiar yellow lines down the middle.
verb (blacktops, blacktopping, blacktopped)[with object] Back to top
- Surface (a road or area) with blacktop: 41 km had been blacktopped to dateMore example sentences
- €25,000 has been allocated to blacktop the road.
More definitions of blacktopDefinition of blacktop in:
- The US English dictionary