Definition of blameworthy in English:
Responsible for wrongdoing and deserving of censure or blame.
- The investigator found that the council was not blameworthy of doing anything wrong in the circumstances.
- Decisions are often based not on general concepts of blameworthy or culpable conduct, but on the precise interpretation of technical terms within the act.
- If criminals under a particular age are less blameworthy than other criminals it might seem to follow that we should spare such criminals the harshest sentence.
culpable, reprehensible, indefensible, inexcusable, guilty, criminal, delinquent, sinful, wicked, wrong, evil, shameful, discreditable;
to blame, at fault, blameable, condemnable, censurable, reproachable, responsible, answerable, offending, erring, errant, in the wrong
- Example sentences
- The investigation is concerned with ‘fault’ which includes blameworthiness as well as causation.
- When there are multiple agents associated with a negative event, however, the perceived responsibility and blameworthiness of each agent may be greatly reduced.
- The criminal law normally reflects culpability and blameworthiness for moral wrong in a general sense.
Words that rhyme with blameworthypraiseworthy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.