- A flattering or pleasing statement or action used as a means of gently persuading someone to do something: the blandishments of the travel brochureMore example sentences
flattery, cajolery, coaxing, wheedling, honeyed words, smooth talk, soft words, blarney; fulsomeness, simpering, fawning, toadying, ingratiating, ingratiation, currying favour, inveiglement; charm offensiveBritish • informal flannelAustralian/New Zealand • informal guyver, smoodging
- Despite all his blandishments, threats and persuasion, he did not get his heart's desire.
- It should not be enough that he was subjected to blandishments and payment in order to persuade him to give evidence.
- For the moment he has been resisting the president's blandishments and coaxing on the war policy.
More definitions of blandishmentDefinition of blandishment in:
- The US English dictionary