Definition of blare in English:
Make or cause to make a loud, harsh sound: [no object]: the ambulance arrived outside, siren blaring [with object]: the wireless was blaring out organ music
More example sentences
- All of a sudden, alarms blared out over the loud speakers as the facility went on high alert.
- Loud rap music blared out of the house as people spilled out of the party onto the lawn.
- Pro-government slogans were blaring out of loud speakers affixed to cars by campaigners.
noun[in singular] Back to top
A loud, harsh sound: a blare of trumpets
More example sentences
- From the initial blare of the trumpets, the album has that thrill of half-recalled familiarity.
- The noise and the blare, the bands and the screaming, the pageantry and oratory of the long full campaign fade on election day.
- Where this is not observed, there is no real music, but only a devilish blare and hubbub.
Words that rhyme with blareaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan