Definition of blaspheme in English:
- Chesterton observed long ago that we only blaspheme what we hold sacred.
- As the text we read this morning makes clear, death is the penalty for blaspheming and cursing God.
- Already they are blaspheming and doing blasphemous things against the church.
- Example sentences
- He admits that he was once a blasphemer and a persecutor of the faith.
- And Paul, an apostle and leader in the church, was once ‘a blasphemer, a persecutor and a man of violence.’
- The strengthening of the sovereign's power had diminished the threat of the blasphemer to the community, and blasphemy became a private sin rather than a public menace.
blame from Middle English:
Blame is from the Old French blamer, blasmer, from a popular Latin variant of ecclesiastical Latin blasphemare ‘reproach, revile, blaspheme’, from Greek blasphēmein, source also of Middle English blaspheme.
Words that rhyme with blasphemeabeam, agleam, beam, bream, deem, deme, downstream, dream, esteem, extreme, gleam, hakim, kilim, meme, midstream, Nîmes, régime, scheme, scream, seam, seem, steam, stream, supreme, team, teem, theme, upstream
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.