Definition of blaspheme in English:
- Chesterton observed long ago that we only blaspheme what we hold sacred.
- As the text we read this morning makes clear, death is the penalty for blaspheming and cursing God.
- Already they are blaspheming and doing blasphemous things against the church.
blame from (Middle English):
Blame is from the Old French blamer, blasmer, from a popular Latin variant of ecclesiastical Latin blasphemare ‘reproach, revile, blaspheme’, from Greek blasphēmein, source also of Middle English blaspheme.
- Example sentences
- He admits that he was once a blasphemer and a persecutor of the faith.
- And Paul, an apostle and leader in the church, was once ‘a blasphemer, a persecutor and a man of violence.’
- The strengthening of the sovereign's power had diminished the threat of the blasphemer to the community, and blasphemy became a private sin rather than a public menace.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.