Definition of bleeding heart in English:
1 informal , derogatory A person considered to be excessively soft-hearted or liberal: [as modifier]: bleeding-heart environmentalists
More example sentences
- It is the realm of everyday life in which we live that is dismissed by economists as the realm of the bleeding hearts.
- They have gotten rid of all of their poor and all of their ghettos and didn't have to spend any money or listen to any bleeding hearts.
- Some bleeding hearts say, oh, my, so many players took steroids, it isn't fair to single out Bonds.
2Any of a number of plants which have red, or partly red, heart-shaped flowers, in particular:
- ● A popular herbaceous garden plant related to Dutchman’s breeches (genus Dicentra, family Fumariaceae, in particular D. cucullaria). ● A tropical twining shrub with cream and red flowers, widely cultivated under glass (Clerodendrum thomsoniae, family Verbenaceae).
- Plants, such as coral bells and fringed bleeding heart, will produce flowers all season, especially if they are regularly picked.
- Seeds of most hardy perennials, including bleeding hearts, columbines, phlox, and primulas, require a period of chilling to germinate.
- The roses were in full bloom along with the lilies, bleeding hearts, tulips, and dandelions.
3 (also bleeding heart dove) A dove with an oval red patch on the breast, found on islands around the Philippines.
- Genus Gallicolumba, family Columbidae: several species
- For $15 you can get a nice bleeding heart dove, but that might be a poor choice for a conservative amour.
- Parrots, parakeets, bleeding heart doves, cuckoos, owls and large amounts of small birds can still be seen.
- When the bleeding heart dove flies into the cathedral's windows and falls out of favor with the skies, this is no accident; what it is is the manner in which symbols will make themselves known to us.
Definition of bleeding heart in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.