Definition of blessedness in English:
The state of being blessed with divine favour.
- At no point in this eternal journey do I expect to dissolve into god or attain static blessedness.
- Christ speaks this word of wholeness and well being and blessedness even to Thomas, who doubts.
- Thoughts of heaven merely blunted the urge for revolution by its promises of future blessedness.
- humorous The state of being unmarried.[From Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream i. i. 78]Example sentences
- While Israel informs readers that this ‘single blessedness’ could be rather lonely and demoralizing, it was still an Amazonian utopia compared with the lives of the other single subgroup at the time: the immigrant working girl.
- Lucy Larcom believed that ‘a life of ‘single blessedness’’ was preferable to ‘marrying and giving in marriage’.
- There are single people who deliberately chose to be singles as they have discerned that is their vocation: single blessedness.
Definition of blessedness in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan