- 1God’s favour and protection: may God continue to give us his blessingMore example sentences
- Continue to lead me and guide me in that way by the blessing of your Holy Spirit.
- The other essential part of the marriage service is the invocation of divine blessing.
- I was somewhat baffled as to why a pious Muslim would want a blessing from other spiritual beings.
- 1.1A prayer asking for divine favour and protection: a priest gave a blessing as the ship was launchedMore example sentences
- Gamaliel defined no more than the beginnings and ends of blessings, leaving the prayer leader or individual worshipper to improvise on the set theme.
- God, Allah, the Buddha, or Shiva requires you to offer a sacrifice, a prayer or a blessing.
- It seems as though all those doubts and worries had been transformed into prayers and blessings, which had then been abundantly answered.
- 1.2Grace said before or after a meal.More example sentences
- If we speak of the celebration as ‘blessing,’ then, we do so in the same sense that saying grace at meals is blessing.
- Brother Dave offered a blessing on our evening meal, and asked for guidance in staying focused over the next few days.
- Lastly, the master of ceremonies could give the meal blessing.
- 1.3A beneficial thing for which one is grateful: great intelligence can be a curse as well as a blessing it’s a blessing we’re aliveMore example sentences
advantage, benefit, help, boon, good thing, godsend, favour, gift, convenience; bonus, plus point, added attraction, additional benefit, extra, added extra; luck, stroke of luck, piece of luck, good fortune, windfall, gain, profit, virtue, bounty• literary benison
- I DO agree with Roger Perry that we live in a beautiful world and that we have many blessings to be grateful for.
- He and Ronny spoke many times about their desire for people everywhere to have the benefit and the blessings of freedom.
- But the warmth is a blessing and a boon for aching backs after a day of off-road trials.
- 1.4A person’s sanction or support: he gave the plan his blessing even before it was announcedMore example sentences
- John Paul is one of the Woodfield area candidates taking part in the mayoral event and he will give his blessings to all who support this venture.
- Jones said although her bandmates at Request were sad to see her go, they gave her their blessings and support.
- If you're still sure that you want to make this travel, you'll have all my support and my blessings.
a blessing in disguise
- An apparent misfortune that eventually has good results: being omitted from the World Cup squad was a blessing in disguiseMore example sentences
- The apparent misfortune may turn out to be a blessing in disguise and the seeming stroke of luck the very stuff of tragedy.
- Old habits die hard, and I believe the heavy fines imposed can eventually turn out to be a blessing in disguise in two ways.
- Disappointments can often turn out to be blessings in disguise.