1Extremely happy; full of joy: a blissful couple holding a baby
More example sentences
- Suddenly life, which had up until a minute ago seemed blissful and full of promise, has now become a thing of dread.
- She shivered inwardly, so happy and blissful just to have his body near hers.
- As he prepared to surprise the blissful couple, he felt the hairs on the back on his neck rising.
1.1Providing perfect happiness or great joy: the blissful caress of cool cotton sheets
More example sentences
- I'm not going to mention the blissful weather over the last couple of weeks - I'll just jinx it.
- And though she was happy her friend was leading such a blissful marriage with Matthew, she couldn't help but be a little jealous.
- I have decided that for the rest of the trip I shall live in my own, blissful world where everyone is full of good intentions.
ecstatic, rapturous, joyful, joyous, elated, beatific, euphoric, enraptured, on cloud nine, in seventh heaven, transported, in transports, in raptures, beside oneself with joy/happiness, rhapsodic, ravished, enchanted, enthusiastic, delighted, thrilled, overjoyed, happy
informal over the moon, on top of the world, blissed out
Australian informal wrapped
- Complete unawareness of something important or unpleasant: her blissful ignorance of the politicized academic climateMore example sentences
- Another form of potentially blissful ignorance is traumatic amnesia.
- But the blameworthy remain oblivious to their actions while wrapped in their blissful ignorance.
- But many voters continue to live in blissful ignorance about the qualities of those putting themselves up for election: just 42% of the electorate are able even to name their MP.
- Example sentences
- This allows us to enact a performance of a lifetime on earth, reverberating in generic blissfulness.
- Her face was withered from long years of struggle yet lightened with blissfulness from so many happy times.
- Tired students heaved their bags across their shoulder, hurrying out, heading for the blissfulness of their homes, or the quiet of the library.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.