- In children, the abdomen can become swollen and bloated and medical attention should be sought urgently.
- It is rare to see instant results when making dietary changes, but according to experts, bloating and swollen ankles can literally ‘deflate’ within a matter of days when salt intake is reduced.
- You may notice a burning sensation in your upper abdomen, nausea, bloating and belching.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- Also, grazing that leaves very short stubble could lead to a greater risk of bloat if livestock are hungry when turned into the next paddock.
- When bloat occurs, the stomach can turn and block, causing a buildup of gas.
- Signs of bloat are stomach pain and futile attempts to vomit and to salivate.
late 17th century: from obsolete bloat 'swollen, soft', perhaps from Old Norse blautr 'soft, flabby'.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
late 16th century: related to the adjective bloat used in the compound bloat herring 'bloater' from the late 16th to mid 17th century; of obscure origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.