- In children, the abdomen can become swollen and bloated and medical attention should be sought urgently.
- It is rare to see instant results when making dietary changes, but according to experts, bloating and swollen ankles can literally ‘deflate’ within a matter of days when salt intake is reduced.
- You may notice a burning sensation in your upper abdomen, nausea, bloating and belching.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- Also, grazing that leaves very short stubble could lead to a greater risk of bloat if livestock are hungry when turned into the next paddock.
- When bloat occurs, the stomach can turn and block, causing a buildup of gas.
- Signs of bloat are stomach pain and futile attempts to vomit and to salivate.
late 17th century: from obsolete bloat 'swollen, soft', perhaps from Old Norse blautr 'soft, flabby'.
- The latter, however, are very agreeable and good for making pickled or bloated herring.
- I spotted a chunk of granite in the shape of a bloated herring and grabbed it too, ready to do battle with both hands.
late 16th century: related to the adjective bloat used in the compound bloat herring 'bloater' from the late 16th to mid 17th century; of obscure origin.