Definition of blocker in English:
1A substance which prevents or inhibits a given physiological function: the nicotinic receptor blocker significantly influenced fluid transport in the inflamed intestines
More example sentences
- We coded all drugs according to the British National Formulary and defined secondary prevention drugs as aspirin, blockers, lipid lowering agents, or angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.
- The rest of the market goes to acid blockers, which prevent the action of histamine on the acid-secreting cells of the stomach, reducing acid secretion.
- Medicines called ACE inhibitors and angiotensin-II receptor blockers are helpful.
2 Cricket A habitually defensive batsman.
- They have always taken the mickey out of me for being a blocker, but in that match I hit 22 and I actually played some shots.
- In the past, it was almost compulsory to have a blocker, someone who would occasionally hit the bad ball but as likely to treat it with disdain in protection of his wicket.
- His teams of the thirties and forties always had one artful blocker.
2.1 American Football A player whose task it is to block for the ball carrier.
- Look at all of the quality running backs, blockers, and wideouts.
- He was a tremendous rusher, a great receiver, and one of the best blockers ever for a running back.
- At any rate, they have to get a passer at some point, as well as a running back and a blocker.
Definition of blocker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan