Definition of bloodsucker in English:
1An insect or other animal that sucks blood, especially a leech or a mosquito.
- The female mosquitoes become the bloodsuckers, and they use their long proboscis to bite other animals and feed on their blood.
- She was suddenly keenly aware off all the little pricks on her skin, where mosquitoes, the rotten little bloodsuckers, were feasting on her exposed flesh.
- Doctors in the US are warning people to avoid the natural response to squash the insects but instead recommend giving the bloodsuckers a flick.
3 informal A person who extorts money or otherwise lives off other people.
- Ah, but… These bloodsuckers prey on the poor, often Native folk: car title loans, payday loans, personal loans up to $500.
- Ironically, the blood is now being sucked out the other way: India's hill stations will soon be sucked dry by a new variety of bloodsuckers.
- There are greedy bloodsuckers and there are banks.
- 1bloodsucking adjective
- Example sentences
- He pulls up his shirt to reveal a bloodsucking creature attached to his belly.
- When outdoors, people are encouraged to use an insect repellant containing DEET, an active ingredient unequalled at keeping the bloodsucking pests at bay.
- The extent to which I hate bloodsucking ticks can hardly be described and I subject myself to intense and private scrutiny when I return home.
Words that rhyme with bloodsuckerlatke • motherfucker
Definition of bloodsucker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.