Definition of bloodsucker in English:
1An insect or other animal that sucks blood, especially a leech or a mosquito.
- The female mosquitoes become the bloodsuckers, and they use their long proboscis to bite other animals and feed on their blood.
- She was suddenly keenly aware off all the little pricks on her skin, where mosquitoes, the rotten little bloodsuckers, were feasting on her exposed flesh.
- Doctors in the US are warning people to avoid the natural response to squash the insects but instead recommend giving the bloodsuckers a flick.
3 informal A person who extorts money or otherwise lives off other people.
- Ah, but… These bloodsuckers prey on the poor, often Native folk: car title loans, payday loans, personal loans up to $500.
- Ironically, the blood is now being sucked out the other way: India's hill stations will soon be sucked dry by a new variety of bloodsuckers.
- There are greedy bloodsuckers and there are banks.
- Example sentences
- He pulls up his shirt to reveal a bloodsucking creature attached to his belly.
- When outdoors, people are encouraged to use an insect repellant containing DEET, an active ingredient unequalled at keeping the bloodsucking pests at bay.
- The extent to which I hate bloodsucking ticks can hardly be described and I subject myself to intense and private scrutiny when I return home.
Words that rhyme with bloodsuckerlatke • motherfucker
Definition of bloodsucker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan