Any of a number of hardwood trees with deep red timber, in particular:
- ● an Australian gum tree (genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae, in particular E. gummifera). ● a tree of the Old World tropics (genus Pterocarpus, family Leguminosae), including kiaat.
More example sentences
- This species of eucalypt here is one of the yellow bloodwoods.
- The homestead museum sits secluded among the bloodwoods, nutwoods and cabbage gums.
- The inlaws do the carving of the Pukumani poles which are made from the bloodwood tree, then painted with ochres and erected around the grave.
Definition of bloodwood in:
- The US English dictionary