- 1The bright red aquatic larva of a non-biting midge, the blood of which contains haemoglobin that allows it to live in poorly oxygenated water.
More example sentences
- Genus Chironomus, family Chironomidae
- We get everything from herbivorous reptiles to aquatic animals that eat bloodworms.
- You'll need to check to see if bloodworm is allowed as it is banned on some venues.
- With a few truly bizarre exceptions (such as the chironomid bloodworms that breed in sewage), insects don't even have hemoglobin.
- 2 another term for tubifex.
More definitions of bloodwormDefinition of bloodworm in:
- The US English dictionary