noun[usually in combination]
- 1A plant that produces flowers at a specified time: fragrant night-bloomers such as nicotianaMore example sentences
- But if you see a new scape rising at the base of a blooming plant, the plant is a repeat bloomer.
- Or you can stagger the bloom time by planting mid- and late-season bloomers together, creating a spring display that blooms in succession, for a whole season of color!
- Most of the small Dahlias are early and profuse bloomers, starting to flower in July and continuing right through till frost.
- 1.1 [with adjective] A person who matures or flourishes at a specified time: he was a late bloomerMore example sentences
- I'd prefer to think of Maggie as a late bloomer, one of those bored, too-bright-for-their-own-good students so advanced that their minds wander to loftier thoughts.
- Lives do not always proceed in predictable patterns, and we may have a choice between a classic late bloomer who has just reached his powers, and a morning glory, who hit his peak early and has not matched it since.
- A late bloomer, the diminutive Pompey took up track for the first time after her family migrated to the US in 1992, following in the footsteps of her younger sister Allison.
nounBritish • informal , • dated
- A serious or stupid mistake: he never committed a bloomerMore example sentences
- About 45 minutes later, he committed his bloomer, and there is no doubt in my mind that the champion jockey made the elementary mistake of thinking that he had the race won aboard the second - favourite.
- To doubt this fact is to commit a bloomer.
- Recently our bickering politicians committed a bloomer.
late 19th century: equivalent to blooming error.
- A large loaf with diagonal slashes on a rounded top.More example sentences
- I had visions of running over to the fresh bread counter, ripping the crust off a large bloomer and burying my face in the soft, warm expanse of white loaf.
- These include Cottage Loaves, Rye bread, Multi-seed, the classic Bloomer as well as finger rolls, torpedoes and much more.
- More crumb less crust, we use artisan baguette dough, baked as a pointy bloomer, and top with poppy seeds.
1930s: of unknown origin.