Definition of blue-chip in English:
1Denoting companies or their shares considered to be a reliable investment, though less secure than gilt-edged stock.
- Many investors look for reliable blue-chip companies with predictable, regular revenues - safe havens, if you like.
- Shares in big, blue-chip companies are easy to buy and sell because there are billions of shares in circulation, plus a lively market of buyers and sellers.
- Four traditional blue-chip companies update their investors next week.
1.1Of the highest quality: blue-chip art
More example sentences
- In the present exhibition the seven participating artists are young and on the threshold of their careers hoping to make works that in time would translate into blue-chip art.
- The world's richest collectors are still prepared to pay almost any price for exceptional, blue-chip modern art - especially when it comes fresh to the market and with an impeccable provenance.
- No doubt he hopes to fire up the collecting ambitions of his sometimes troubled museum, which must compete for blue-chip art with many other powerful institutions.
early 20th century (originally US): from the blue chip used in gambling games, which usually has a high value.
Definition of blue-chip in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan