Definition of blue flag in English:
1A European award for beaches, based on cleanliness and safety.
- The blue flag award is based on a number of different criteria including water quality, environmental education, environmental management and safety and services.
- The awards scheme, which began in 2001, is the equivalent of the blue flag award for beaches.
- Despite the incident Kerry beaches managed to retain 13 blue flags which are awarded each year to areas that have attained environmental excellence.
2 Motor Racing A blue flag used to indicate to a driver that there is another driver trying to lap him.
- Although it is not written in our rules, between the drivers we have an agreement that if the blue flags are being waved at you, you have three corners to let the faster guy through.
- They took a lap to get their blue flags out but he had blue flags for two and a half laps.
- With our revised car, I hope we will not have to endure a race affected by blue flags, as has been the case far too often this season.
Definition of blue flag in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.