noun[mass noun] Astronomy
- The displacement of the spectrum to shorter wavelengths in the light coming from distant celestial objects moving towards the observer. Compare with red shift.More example sentences
- In the solar case, plasma motion towards us, which means away from the solar surface, is detected as blue shift in the ultraviolet spectrum, and thus can be used to identify the beginning of the solar wind outflow.
- Such binding is detectable by the increase in fluorescence emission intensity and the blue shift in emission wavelength of ANS when bound in nonpolar environments.
- The blue shift was discernible on scales of 100 million light-years, or roughly one-hundredth the scale of previous studies.
More definitions of blue shiftDefinition of blue shift in:
- The US English dictionary