- A US state that predominantly votes for or supports the Democratic Party. Compare with red state.More example sentences
- Only one blue state, California, has gained electoral votes since 2000.
- It would be hard for Democrats to oppose a popular judge from a swing blue state.
- It feels like the administration is pulling the plug and will only grudgingly spend anything in a few years to deorbit Hubble safely rather than let it crash to earth, say, in some blue state, perhaps onto the Boston Common.
from the typical colour used to represent the Democratic Party on maps during elections.
More definitions of blue stateDefinition of blue state in:
- The US English dictionary