nounchiefly North American
- A bird or fish, especially a trout or a sockeye salmon, having a bluish back.More example sentences
- Waters up on the Appalachian Trail to the south hold Sunapee trout - a rare cousin of the blueback trout found only in a few Maine ponds.
- Some other common names for Oncorhynchus kisutch are coho, silver, blueback, and hook nose salmon.
- Paddling over the six sets of rapids created by the dam removal, you think of the blueback herring that spawn in fast whitewater.
More definitions of bluebackDefinition of blueback in:
- The US English dictionary