Definition of bluebell in English:
1A European woodland plant of the lily family, which produces clusters of blue bell-shaped flowers in spring.
- Hyacinthoides (or Endymion) nonscripta, family Liliaceae
- Daffodils, wild hyacinths and tulips, snowdrops, bluebells, daisies and buttercups littered the earth.
- The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.
- Autumn is the time to put in bulbs for early spring including snow-drops, daffodils, crocuses, lilies and bluebells.
2Any of a number of other plants with blue bell-shaped flowers, in particular:
- ● Scottish term for harebell. ● A North American plant of the borage family (genus Mertensia, family Boraginaceae). ● An Australian and South African plant of the bellflower family (genus Wahlenbergia, family Campanulaceae).
- In amongst the shrubs and trees are many more delights both indigenous and exotic, in the form of plants such as Spanish bluebells and South African gazanias.
- Spanish bluebell is a good bet everywhere except the intermediate and low deserts.
- This comes from the Spanish bluebell which can be purchased in some garden centres.
Words that rhyme with bluebellcowbell • Annabel
Definition of bluebell in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.