An edible North American freshwater fish of the sunfish family, with a deep body and bluish cheeks and gill covers.
- Lepomis macrochirus, family Centrarchidae
More example sentences
- Stock ponds and reservoirs with mosquito-eating fish such as green sunfish, bluegills, guppies or any surface-feeding minnow.
- Like other sunfish, bluegill have very deep and highly compressed bodies.
- It's safe to say that Burke Lake anglers have caught literally tons of bluegills, crappie, largemouth bass and other stocked gamefish since it opened.
Definition of bluegill in:
- The US English dictionary