A songbird resembling the robin, found in northern Eurasia and Alaska. The male has a blue throat with a red or white spot in the centre.
- Luscinia svecicus, family Turdidae
More example sentences
- Furthermore, in bluethroats, European starlings, and blue tits female choice for males with greater UV reflectance appears to favor structural plumage traits.
- In many passerine species, including bluethroats, male removal results in an overall reduction in food supply.
- A lost waif and stray of extraordinary beauty turned up in Aberdeen and made the front page of two national newspapers: a bluethroat looking enchantingly like a robin that had been coloured in wrong.
Definition of bluethroat in:
- The US English dictionary