- 1A constrictor snake which bears live young and may reach great size, native to America, Africa, Asia, and some Pacific islands.
More example sentences
- Family Boidae, several genera and numerous species.
- It's the smaller size of the boas found on certain Central American islands.
- They will include pythons, cobras, sand boas, snakes and monitor lizards.
- Examples of such dwarfism or gigantism include the giant tortoises of the Seychelles islands, Indonesia's Komodo dragons, and the boas of the Belizean Snake Cayes.
- 1.1(In general use) any snake which is a constrictor.More example sentences
- Their analysis also indicated, however, that the two snakes were not primitive ancestors, but advanced snakes similar to modern boas and pythons.
- They are also preyed upon by mammalian predators such as cats, and by snakes such as boas and anacondas.
- Non-venomous snakes like boas and pythons grab their prey and squeeze them to death.
- 2A long, thin stole of feathers or fur worn around a woman’s neck, typically as part of evening dress.More example sentences
- But instead I have gone with a more traditional flapper look, tassely little dress, feather boa, long black gloves, cigarette holder, fishnet stockings.
- She is always dressing up with feather boas and high heels.
- There was a feather boa around her neck as she played and I sang ‘good-bye, good-bye forever’ and it was a wonderful evening.
late Middle English: from Latin (mentioned in the writings of Pliny), of unknown ultimate origin.
More definitions of boaDefinition of boa in:
- The US English dictionary