- 1 (also boat-billed heron) A small Central and South American heron with a broad flattened bill and a prominent black crest.
More example sentences
- Cochlearius cochlearius, family Ardeidae
- Our guide was especially knowledgeable about the bird life and was able to show us three boat-billed herons - magnificent tropical birds with broad bills.
- The Hacienda La Pacifica resort complex, adjacent to these preserves, is popular with birders for the natural habitat along the river right on its grounds, where boat-billed herons come to roost.
- Entire avian families, including cotingas, manakins, toucans, and ground antbirds, are essentially confined to the Neotropics, as are such unique species as screamers, trumpeters, sunbittern, hoatzin, and boat-billed heron.
- 2A flycatcher that has a very broad flattened bill with a hooked tip, found mainly in New Guinea. Also called flatbill flycatcher.
- Genus Machaerirhynchus, family Monarchidae: two species
More definitions of boatbillDefinition of boatbill in:
- The US English dictionary