- 1A cylinder or cone holding thread, yarn, or wire, used especially in weaving and machine sewing.More example sentences
- In days gone by I would have ordered the non-standard bobbins my sewing machine uses from his shop and got them in mere weeks.
- Thread the machine needle with white thread and the bobbin with red thread.
- When creating a lace appliqué, use the same color thread in the bobbin and the needle.
- 1.1A spool or reel.More example sentences
- Let out just enough slack line from the reel so that the bobbin is suspended two to three inches below the rod.
- The family room tree has a sewing theme, with spools, bobbins and buttons for ornaments.
- 2A small bar attached to a string used for raising a door latch.More example sentences
- Little Red Riding Hood pulled the bobbin, and the door opened.
- ‘Pull the bobbin,’ answered the voice again, ‘and the latch will go up.’
mid 16th century: from French bobine, of unknown origin.
More definitions of bobbinDefinition of bobbin in:
- The US English dictionary