(also bobwhite quail)
A New World quail with mottled reddish-brown plumage, and typically a pale throat and eyestripe.
- Genus Colinus, family Phasianidae: two species, in particular the northern bobwhite (C. virginianus)
More example sentences
- On the hunting fields, 12,000 birds are harvested annually, consisting of pheasants, chukar partridge and bobwhite quail.
- Sadly, the 38 bobwhite reported by only 5 observers, plus a covey of 6 seen before the count, confirms the rapid decline of these once abundant Cape birds.
- The bobwhite is an excellent example of a species on the wane.
early 19th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of bobwhite in:
- The US English dictionary